ContactRoom: I4-308 (3rd Floor)
M-Th: 8:00am - 6:00pm
Friday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
What is STAR TRIO
STAR is funded 80% with a $293,296 grant from the U.S. Dept. of Education, TRIO Programs and 20% with Mesa College funds. STAR provides students opportunities for academic development, assists with basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students towards the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The goal of STAR TRIO is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and to facilitate the process of transition to the four-year university.
Services Provided by Star Trio
- Academic Advisement with Education Planning
- Peer Mentoring
- Financial Aid Information and Application Assistance
- FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- Financial Aid at Mesa
- Financial and Economic Literacy Courses
- CashCourse. Your Real-Life Money Guide
- Instruction in basic study skills
- Career and educational information
- Computer lab with printing
- Equipment loans - graphing calculator, digital recorder, reference books
- Variety of school supplies
- Leadership opportunities
Eligibility for Program Services
To receive assistance, students must be enrolled at Mesa College and meet federal income guidelines, are first-generation to college, and/or a student in the DSPS program and evidencing academic need. New participants must be full-time students who intend to transfer to the four-year university to pursue a bachelor's degree.
How to Apply
Students interested in applying for the STAR program must submit a completed Program Application.
Continuing STAR students must complete and submit the Service Request form to remain in good standing with the program each academic year.
Applications are also available in the STAR office, located in I4-308. Students may also be asked to provide:
- Verification of income (signed income tax return)
- Mesa College ID
Please mail or deliver completed application to:San Diego Mesa College, STAR TRIO Program I4-308, 7250 Mesa College Drive.,San Diego, CA 92111-4998