General Counselor and MAAP Personal Growth 120 Professor
Mesa Academics & Athletics Program
MAAP Mission Statement
The Mesa Academics and Athletics Program (MAAP) at San Diego Mesa College empowers student-athletes to identify and achieve their educational, career, athletic and personal goals. The support program guides student-athletes to obtain an educational degree while meeting California community college and/or transfer eligibility requirements. MAAP aims to motivate student-athletes to succeed in the classroom, the athletic arena and in the community.
- To assist student-athletes in the identification of educational, career, athletic and personal goals
- To empower student-athletes to reach academic, career, athletic and personal success
- To increase retention, graduation and transfer rates of student athletes
- To encourage each student-athlete to develop independence, self-advocacy and to mature mentally emotionally, physically and athletically.
- To create an environment within the intercollegiate athletic program that promotes academic achievement.
- To provide CCCAA, NCAA, and NAIA resources.
- To maximize the academic potential of student-athletes by providing an atmosphere that enhances learning skills, career development, and personal development. This will be done by encouraging the student-athletes to:
Enroll in a Personal Growth course, utilize free tutoring services, and use the student services on campus (i.e. Transfer Center, Career Center, Counseling and others).
TYPE OF MAAP COUNSELING SERVICES:
1) MAAP Drop-In (in Counseling) (i.e. quick questions, abbreviated Ed Plans, petitions, basic eligibility)
2) 1 hour MAAP Counseling Appointments (i.e. long term planning, AA, transfer, in-depth CCCAA/NCAA.NAIA eligibility, personal and career counseling)
3) MAAP Hot Spots for Student-Athletes
This is a Counseling drop-in service just for student-athletes near the Exercise Science Building (i.e. quick questions, certain petitions, pre-requisites, next semester planning).
Summer 2018 Hot Spots, stay tuned ...
Located in: TBA
* The Counselor schedule is subject to change, please call Counseling for the most up to date schedule.
* See Getting Started section of this website for more info (specifically Step 8) and/or call the Counseling Department for the MAAP Counselor's availability at 619-388-2672. Clck here for more info.